Thursday, April 30, 2009

Change is Coming

Hey all, it's Jeremy here. The blog is normally Jessica's arena, but I'm gonna make an entry tonight. Here goes nothing.......

Changing something - whether it be a routine you get into, a physical feature, habits, etc. - is often tough to do. It's easy to say "I would love for 'this' or 'that' to be different", but taking the necessary steps to make the change is sometimes tough to do. Eventually a catalyst for change comes along.

As you know, I've always been a "bigger" person. I've always been that person described in the paragraph above. I always wanted to lose weight and be in better shape, but for whatever reason I could not find the motivation to make it happen. I'm working on changing that now. I guess I got tired of clothes not fitting right and shopping for clothes bordering on not being enjoyable. Closing in on 30 has also added some motivation as well. Point is, these things have now motivated me to get me off the couch.

My short-term goal is to get in good enough shape to run in a 5K run by the end of this summer or in the fall. I have been jogging in the evenings and watching what I eat through the day. At this point I don't time my runs, but my personal best distance is 2.8 miles. Last week, I sustained an injury at softball practice. I tried fielding a ball with my shin instead of my glove. I've had a knot on my shin all week and it has been pretty swollen. I've taken a break from running this week, but to stay active I've been riding my bike. Tonight I rode 6 miles. Not a tremendous distance, but a good way to stay active. As of this entry, 4/30/09, I have lost 6 lbs. I welcome anyone that wants to "train" and run w/me this fall. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

- Jeremy

1 comment:

The Burgess Family said...

Good for you Jeremy!! I do weight watchers and it worked really well for me, you might look into that as well.